SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums
Register FAQ Members Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums > Superior Fitness Section > Beginners
Reload this Page Bulk first or Cut?

Beginners New to the fitness lifestyle? Dont know where to start? Come on in and learn!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-07, 07:50 AM
Bulk first or Cut?

Superior Newbie
Hey guys I was just wondering what i should do first. I am 5ft10 around 190 with what i believe to be 20% bf. Should i cut down to a more reasonable bf% first or just add muscle now with what i have.
Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 07:27 PM

Superior Newbie
ANYONE ????
Old 02-11-07, 08:06 PM

Superior Newbie
I would diet down first. 20%bf at 200 lbs is less fat to loose than 20% at 230 lbs
Old 02-11-07, 08:59 PM

Superior Newbie
cool i am gonna try controls diet and cardio 4 times a week
Old 02-12-07, 01:59 AM

Superior Newbie
I would do both
Old 02-12-07, 07:04 AM

Superior Newbie
I thought the only way to do both was gear? I am not ready for that.

But thanks
Old 02-12-07, 02:27 PM

Banned
whats gear
Old 02-12-07, 02:30 PM

Superior Newbie
Gear????? Whats that????

Seriously, I would do the cutting first then. Any musclemass youmay loss you can regain it back quickly.

When you are ready to venture down the Dark-side my young Padawan.
I will teach you the ways....for I am Darth Decca!!!
Old 02-12-07, 02:45 PM

Banned
I will teach you the ways....for I am Darth Decca!!![/QUOTE]i guess :laughnew:
Old 02-12-07, 03:39 PM

Superior Admiral
Hey man i used to be at 20% bf, i didn't cut, and started lifting heavy. So i naturally leaned out. i am at 14-15%bf and weighing 15 lbs less from last year. My stats last year were Age: 17 20%bf 210lbs. Now i am 18, 14-15%bf 195lbs. I am more leaned out and stacking on that muscle. Of course i do cardio twice a week for an hour. I burn about 800 calories when i am on the eliptical.
Old 02-13-07, 07:01 AM

Superior Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by big chris
I will teach you the ways....for I am Darth Decca!!!
i guess :laughnew:[/QUOTE]

Whats that suppose to mean Bro?
Old 02-13-07, 01:28 PM

Banned
darth decca an tony test
Old 02-13-07, 01:32 PM

Superior Freak
Do a clean bulker. I like to keep a 40/40/20 ratio of carbs, protein and fat. Do your cardio but eat clean. Sugars out the window and keep the carbs to low glycemic ones. 5-6 small meals a day should keep your metabolism high and burning. You should see good progress from this.
Old 03-16-07, 08:38 PM
Lightbulb

Superior Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocat
Hey guys I was just wondering what i should do first. I am 5ft10 around 190 with what i believe to be 20% bf. Should i cut down to a more reasonable bf% first or just add muscle now with what i have.
Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

at 20% I would lose some BF first.
Old 03-17-07, 09:40 AM

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefcake
Do a clean bulker. I like to keep a 40/40/20 ratio of carbs, protein and fat. Do your cardio but eat clean. Sugars out the window and keep the carbs to low glycemic ones. 5-6 small meals a day should keep your metabolism high and burning. You should see good progress from this.
Old 03-31-07, 11:10 AM

Superior Newbie
I would suggest you run a simple test e or cycp cycle and eat as clean as possible with good cardio - that combination should allow you to gain muscle while stripping fat - this process should take place quite easily once your diet and cardio is in check even without gear added

how long have you been lifting and what exactly are your goals - bodybuilding or power?
Old 04-04-07, 04:55 AM

Superior Amateur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon
I would suggest you run a simple test e or cycp cycle and eat as clean as possible with good cardio - that combination should allow you to gain muscle while stripping fat - this process should take place quite easily once your diet and cardio is in check even without gear added

how long have you been lifting and what exactly are your goals - bodybuilding or power?
NO NO NO NO NO, do not listen to that. Read his posts, he is obviously a beginner to working out or at least coming back to it. Do not use gear.
If you eat clean, ie no ice cream, chocolate, whatever else, and start lifting with a few cardio sessions each week, then you will be down in weight and up in muscle in a very short time. Beefcake had it right.
Old 04-13-07, 05:01 PM

Superior Pro
You can do both. You bodies homeostasis will increase protien synthesis in an effort to replace the weight you are losing.

The is actually truth to the phrase "turning fat into muscle".

You body will try to maintain a constant weight and adjust homrone levels to achieve its own goal. Use this to your advantage.

3 days of cardio, 3-4 days of lifitng. Clean diet and sleep well.

You could also train with a off the beaten path protocol suck as crossfit or parkour. These 2 systems do an incredible job of both leaning you out and increasing mass and funcitonality.
Old 04-17-07, 03:43 PM

Superior Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshark84
NO NO NO NO NO, do not listen to that. Read his posts, he is obviously a beginner to working out or at least coming back to it. Do not use gear.
If you eat clean, ie no ice cream, chocolate, whatever else, and start lifting with a few cardio sessions each week, then you will be down in weight and up in muscle in a very short time. Beefcake had it right.

how did you figure that out from his posts?

5' 10" and 190? are you sure your 20% bf?
timid
Old 06-09-07, 05:28 AM

Wow, this is a questions I would really like an answer too also and it seems everyone has a different opinion. But I think what he was asking was to bulk (as in increasing calorie intake to attain size) or lose body fat first. I think the concern, at least for me, is, if I already have a lot of body fat and then am increasing calories, taking whey, creatine and stuff, wont that make it more difficult to lose the fat? Won't I have to work out twice as hard?