SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums
Register FAQ Members Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums > Superior Fitness Section > Nutrition
Reload this Page Peanut Butter - Natural vs. Skippy?

Nutrition Discuss any nutrition related info here.
Sponsored by:  Feelitnutrition.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-04, 05:35 AM
Peanut Butter - Natural vs. Skippy?

Superior Pro
ok so i'm in the grocery store tonight and decide to read labels compairing the two. other then the "natural" PB mentioning "No Trans-Fat" on the label... the Skippy brand actually seemed healthier. less sodium, only 1 gram more fat per serving, and less calories overall. the two were equal in all other areas.... so what's the deal that makes the "naturals" soo much better?
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-04, 10:08 AM

Superior Pro
were the carbs and calories close too ? protein ?

i eat smuckers all natural and ive compared it , if i remember correctly the bad fat , overall calories per serving, and carbs were significantly better. What brand natty were you looking at ?
Old 05-12-04, 12:54 PM

Superior Pro
Ihave always at the smuckrs also. I tried the power butter the other day. It was awsome and blow the rest out of the water as far as nutrition but it costs an arm and a leg.
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-04, 02:49 PM

Superior Pro
i'm not sure of the exact brand-name of the "natural" PB, it just said Natural in linke big cursive along the top. i compaired it to Skippy. other then the trans-fat that Skippy doesn't mention, the Skippy actually turned out better overall. the Skippy has less sodium, less calories, same sugar, and only 1 gram more of fat... but at a much cheaper price. i'm not sure i'm willing to sacrafice the taste for the price and only 1 gram less of fat.
Old 05-12-04, 03:02 PM

Superior Pro
i did the same before and didn't see much of a difference label wise.
Old 05-12-04, 03:24 PM

Superior Pro
the main difference is the hydrogenated oils. that's what keeps the non-natural stuff mixed - and the lack of the hydrogenated oils is what seperates the natural stuff.

we bought chunky skippy - at least we're getting the real peanuts :p
Old 05-12-04, 03:32 PM

Superior Amateur
I like a brad called Carb Choice. It has very little carbs and the fat is fine IMO. It tastes good too.
Old 05-12-04, 10:35 PM

Superior's Bag of Sex
Ok here is the deal....major difference between the two. In a nutshell, if you look at the actual ingredients and not the numbers on the nutritional facts, the natural nut butters are essentially just that--the nuts, and salt. The skippy and jif brands are basically crisco with a small amount of peanut flavoring and sugar added in. Even though the numbers may be similar as far as protein, carbs, and fat, what they do in your body is dramatically different. Shit, bacon and salmon have very similar numbers when it comes to nutritional facts, but everyone knows that salmon's nutritional profile is superior to bacon. You guys need to learn about good fats and bad fats. Trans fats have been linked to many neuro-degenerative diseases and saturated fat clogs your arteries and cause heart disease. Mono- and poly- unsaturated fat are great for cardiovascular health by attaching to and removing cholesterol from the arteries and actually help to upregulate and burn fat from the body. And of major importance, they are also responsible for testosterone production. Go for the natural nut butters, guys. They taste much better and the health benefits are phenomenally better in the long term.
Old 05-12-04, 11:30 PM

Superior Pro
i got some nut-butter for ya!
Old 05-12-04, 11:32 PM

Superior Pro
in all seriousness though, i understand what you're saying about the trans-fats. i also understand about the mono and poly's... but damn that skippy taste good. i'm gonna try some "naturals" over the next couple months and see how they taste. i always heard they were kinda "dry" tasting.
Old 05-13-04, 05:37 AM

Superior Amateur
Very "dry" and gritty.
Old 05-13-04, 09:05 AM

Superior's Bag of Sex
The skippy type nut butters simply don't have any nutritional benefits for bodybuilders at all. They are typically loaded with sugar and bad fat and the protein is not complete. If you are really busting your ass in the gym and trying to change your body composition, it would be of great benefit to switch.
With the natty butter, you have to thouroughly mix all the oil that rises to the top completely or it will be dry. If you are use to the junk peanut nutters like skippy, they will initially taste better, but if you like the pure taste of plain roasted peanuts, then the natty will taste better to you. I am so use to the natty, that when I try to go back and eat skippy, it just tastes like plain old crisco to me. Yuck!!
Attached Images
File Type: gif puke.gif (5.8 KB, 256 views)

Last edited by Cory; 05-13-04 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-14-04, 09:02 PM

Superior Pro
I bought natty peanut butter from a health food store called Feel-Rite. It's called Arrowhead Mills 100% Valencia Natural Peanut Butter. It's a 1-3/4 lb jar and it cost $5.79 but it tastes great! I didn't like it as much at first but when I tried Jif/Skippy again, it beat the crap out of them for taste.

2 tablespoons of this PB has 6 grams of carbs, 9 grams of protein, 15 grams of fat (3 grams saturated fat), 200 calories, 1 gram of fiber and 1 gram of sugar, and no sodium. You have to mix it up because the natural oils seperate just sitting there in the jar. It's not too dry if you mix it up well. YUM!
Old 05-14-04, 09:35 PM

Superior Pro
Does Skippy peanut butter contain trans fats?

What are trans fats?

Trans fatty acids occur naturally in meat and dairy products. Trans fatty acids are produced during the hydrogenation of vegetable oil, a process that adds hydrogen to unsaturated fatty acids in vegetable oil in order to change the fat from a liquid to a solid state.

By U.S. FDA definition, Skippy peanut butter is a trans-fat free food.

Most commercial peanut butters contain small amounts (typically less than 2%) of a partially hydrogenated fat, which prevents oil separation by helping the peanut butter "set up" a fat structure. This partially hydrogenated fat is almost totally saturated and contains only an insignificant trace amount of trans fats.

with this being said; AND-

according to my own research over the last two days, Skippy (compaired to two other "natural-brands") has less overall calories (only 10 more calories from fat), less sodium, less sugars, and only 1 g more of sat. fat...why go "natty"?
Old 05-14-04, 09:39 PM

Superior Pro
What is aflatoxin?
Aflatoxin is a naturally occurring substance produced by a mold that can grow on peanuts and other crops, especially under unfavorable growing or storage conditions. Strict quality control measures, such as those Bestfoods practices, are effective in eliminating aflatoxin from finished products. Peanuts used to make Skippy peanut butter are tested for aflatoxin and must comply with Bestfoods strict standards, which meet or are more stringent than the U.S. government requirements. Finished products are also tested before they are released for sale.

i could NOT find any notes regarding this issue on ANY of the "natty" PB's that i checked out.
Old 05-14-04, 09:43 PM

Superior Pro
as for Skippy's ingredients:

roasted peanuts, sugar, partially hydrogenated vegetable oils, salt.

can anyone list a comparison from the "nattys" they have laying around?
Old 05-14-04, 10:31 PM

Superior's Bag of Sex
Quote:
Originally posted by GearTripper
Peanuts and salt. That is it!!
Old 05-15-04, 03:58 AM

Superior Pro
Quote:
Originally posted by GearTripper
as for Skippy's ingredients:

roasted peanuts, sugar, partially hydrogenated vegetable oils, salt.

GT, are you currently or have you ever been an employee of Skippy Peanut Butter or any of its subsidiaries? Hahaz. Eat what you want, bro. You prolly burned off enough calories researching this stuff to make it a null point j/k
Old 05-15-04, 05:25 PM

Superior Pro
no, never worked for Skippy... it's just recently this year, i crave PB like almost nightly. so i got interested. i understand the differences now - and personally conclude that the natty's are not THAT much better IMO. thanks for everyone's help though
Old 05-17-04, 06:50 PM

Superior Newbie
man the big difference between natty and jiff to me is TASTE!!!!! i'd take natty PB, regardless of brand (however i prefer smuckers ;p ) anyday over JIFF. i can actually taste all the preservatuives and shit they add to it.

NATTY PB is the SHIAT! i could eat a whole jar right now actually im hungry!

look at the ingredients on both

for natty: peanuts, salt

jiff: hydronated oils, maltodexterin, other sugars, .............., list goes on and on and on hen finally peanuts. all thta other crap are the preservatives that are fossilizing your insides

thats all i have to say lol.
Old 05-17-04, 11:29 PM

Superior's Bag of Sex
Yep...all that shit is hardening your arteries over time.
Old 05-17-04, 11:42 PM

Superior Newbie
I got the big Adams 100% natural peanut butter from Costco - a big 5lb tub only cost about 6 bucks and it tastes pretty good. I didn't do any detailed ingredient comparison though.
Old 05-18-04, 02:39 AM

Superior Pro
that's not a bad price for a 5# tub of PB.. i'd try that out. i'll have to look for it at my local Costco next week. as for Jiff - yea that crap is loaded with, well "crap".. Skippy is better, aside from the hydro-oil.
Old 05-18-04, 09:31 AM

Superior Newbie
Once you eat the natty pb you will not switch back!!!! It's great tasting, imo!
Old 05-21-04, 11:52 AM

Superior Freak
Natty almond butter is a nice alternative to natty pb. I get both at the local Fresh Market where it's ground up fresh. Only thing in it is the nuts, no added salt or sugar. A little stevia sprinkled in will make it sweet and keep it natural without adding in a bunch of carbs.
Old 05-27-04, 01:19 PM

Superior Newbie
almond butter mmm sounds good. never had. where do you get that?

question: the whole foods around here makes their own p-butter by grinding them to order. is this the same in content as the natural p-butters???
Old 05-27-04, 03:28 PM

Superior Newbie
IMO you gotta read the ingredients...

the natty should only be: peanuts, salt.

the skippy or whatever else will be A LOT more...including hydrogynated oils, trans fats, etc....NOT GOOD. And it's only like 65% peanuts! lol

can't beat all natty IMO.
Old 06-01-04, 01:27 PM

Superior Newbie
THe fat in Natty PB is good for you, it will increase your testosterone levels unlike skippy which will just clog your arteries
kflanaga
Old 06-23-04, 02:19 PM
Peanut Better instead of Peanut Butter

If you use peanut butter in your diet, check out a new one called Peanut Better at www.peanutbetter.com. It is organic; uses no hydrogenated oils or emulsifiers and has no trans fat or cholesterol as a result; is lower in fat and calories than other brands; is gluten-free; has 5 varieties that have 4 net carbs or less; and is still high in protein. It comes in 11 varieties - everything from Thai Ginger to Vanilla Cranberry. An added benefit is that it tastes great - just peanuts and spices. The 5 savory varieties have no added sugar and the 5 sweet varieties have no added salt. Check it out!
Summit
Old 05-30-06, 02:02 PM

Hey everyone--new here. I was just doing a little research about whether or not Skippy peanut butter contains transfats (it does, but only in the small amount allowed by the FDA to still claim "0%"), and I came across this discussion on this site. Great site!

I'm not trying to defend Skippy peanut butter or any other, I like natural peanut butter, and I do not and never have worked for Skippy, but I must say that I'm disappointed at some of the misinformation being posted here. To write that it is "basically crisco with a small amount of peanut flavoring and sugar added in", or that "it's only like 65% peanuts!", or that Jif's listed ingredients are "hydronated [sic] oils, maltodexterin, other sugars, .............., list goes on and on and on [t]hen finally peanuts," is simply inaccurate and unfair to these products. By law, peanut butter must contain at least 90% peanuts. The rest may be flavoring (sugar and salt, primarily), and stabilizers, which generally does mean some sort of hydrogenated oil, with a small amount allowable of transfats.

So eat what you want. I'm not trying to start an argument. But the facts are pretty easy to find, and they have been pretty much "embellished" here, to say the least!

Here's a quote from the Skippy peanut butter site itself:

Quote:
Peanut butter, as defined by the U.S. FDA's Standard of Identity, must consist of at least 90 percent peanuts with no more than 10 percent by weight seasoning and stabilizing ingredients. These optional ingredients may include salt, sugars and partially hydrogenated vegetable oil. They may not include lard or other animal fats, artificial flavorings, artificial sweeteners, chemical preservatives or colors.

Anyway, carry on!

Summit
Old 05-30-06, 02:56 PM

Administrator
This thread is 2 years old...
Peanuts alone are always going to be healthier than peanuts, sugar, and hydrogenated oils....
Old 05-30-06, 03:01 PM

Superior Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitnessBrat
This thread is 2 years old...
Peanuts alone are always going to be healthier than peanuts, sugar, and hydrogenated oils....
Are you telling me then that my Reese's Peanutbutter Cup diet isn't healthy?
Old 05-30-06, 03:06 PM

Administrator
Yes sir
Oh boy, I love those! Even better - the Take 5 bars :loveheart:
Old 07-31-06, 03:44 PM

Superior Newbie
Introducing Big Rob's Workout Package!! Go Hard or Go Home!!!

For every pound of Whey Protein Isolate & every pound of either Micellar Casein or Calcium Caseinate you purchase, I will give you 1/2 OFF of every pound of our Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolate. That is only $4.75 per pound!!!
(Minimum Order of 2 lbs. of Each Product - 6lbs total - Increments are 5 lbs. after that.... 5 lbs of each, 10 lbs of each, etc.)

- Take Regular All The Whey Protein Isolate before your workout.

- Take Hydrolyzed All The Whey Protein Isolate midway through your workout to give you an instant big boost.

- Take Micellar Casein or Calcium Caseinate at night -Studies have shown that it can provide steady release of amino acids into the blood stream, for an incredible 7 hours!

The complete Pre-Mid-Post workout program!!

When Ordering on our website - Don't forget to put my name "Rob" in the comments section
You can also call me directly on our 800-866-1970 number during my posted hours!!

I look forward to serving you soon!

1-800-866-1970
M-F 9am-5pm EST
Old 07-31-06, 03:51 PM

Superior Pro
^^ Will you stop that shit? Geez, you only have to post it once.
Old 08-07-06, 01:15 PM

Superior Newbie
I'm with you on peanuts and salt