SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums
Register FAQ Members Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   SuperiorMuscle.com - Bodybuilding Forums > Superior Fitness Section > Nutrition
Reload this Page grape juice post workout?

Nutrition Discuss any nutrition related info here.
Sponsored by:  Feelitnutrition.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-07, 05:57 PM
grape juice post workout?

Superior Pro
Has anyone ever used grape juice as a carb source with protein post workout? I was just doing some random research online and saw it was high on the GI.
is Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 06:38 PM

Superior Freak
grape juice is half fructose and half dextrose. I'm not a fan of simple sugars post workout and not much of a fan of spiking my insulin levels pw.
Old 08-08-07, 01:24 AM

Superior Freak
I take simple sugars post workout along with CEE and glutamine...and have used grape juice in the past. I take in a whey isolate shake 20 min or so after that.
Old 08-08-07, 07:58 AM

Banned
If you want a juice pwo try grapefruit juice - it's been found to increase the absorbtion rate of things like creatine etc and should have plent of simple sugars for you...
Old 08-08-07, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fog_hat1981
If you want a juice pwo try grapefruit juice - it's been found to increase the absorbtion rate of things like creatine etc and should have plent of simple sugars for you...
classic example of ignoring the negatives and focusing on the positives. Grapefruit juice is citrus. Citric acid destroys things like creatine and protein. so while certain chemicals in grapefruit may enhance the absorption of medicines etc.. it will also destroy the creatine and protein in your PWO shake. plus i am almost positive the sugar in grapefruit juice is 100% fructose. not the best for post workout. the negatives of grapefruit juice far outweigh the positives for PWO use.

i think stonecold does this also. he focuses on all the posative studies he can find on how working out like once a week is optimal. :laughnew: never mind the tried and true real life results of countless bodybuilders who train 6-7 days a week sometimes twice a day and continue to see results.

people need to look at these things from every angle.
is Online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-07, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysgrowing
Has anyone ever used grape juice as a carb source with protein post workout? I was just doing some random research online and saw it was high on the GI.
While it is better then most other fruit juices, it is not the best thing you can use for a PWO shake. Dextrose, maltodextrin, Vitargo (the best) are far superior in shuttling nutrients into the muscle.
Old 08-08-07, 08:24 AM

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BOUNCER
classic example of ignoring the negatives and focusing on the positives. Grapefruit juice is citrus. Citric acid destroys things like creatine and protein. so while certain chemicals in grapefruit may enhance the absorption of medicines etc.. it will also destroy the creatine and protein in your PWO shake. plus i am almost positive the sugar in grapefruit juice is 100% fructose. not the best for post workout. the negatives of grapefruit juice far outweigh the positives for PWO use.

i think stonecold does this also. he focuses on all the posative studies he can find on how working out like once a week is optimal. :laughnew: never mind the tried and true real life results of countless bodybuilders who train 6-7 days a week sometimes twice a day and continue to see results.

Show me the studies about citrus completely killing things like protein and creatine etc (or at least killing enough of it to rule it entirely useless) and I'll get back to my silly little ways big guy - it's the first I've heard of this dickshed
Old 08-08-07, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fog_hat1981
Show me the studies about citrus completely killing things like protein and creatine etc (or at least killing enough of it to rule it entirely useless) and I'll get back to my silly little ways big guy - it's the first I've heard of this dickshed
nobody said "completely" destroys. it destroys none the less. it is pretty common knowledge about citric acid and creatine bro. take a look at the back of any basic creatine supp bottle. most say, "mix with a non acidic, non citrus fruit juice."

just do a search on google for "creatine + citrus"
Old 08-08-07, 08:49 AM

Banned
Quote:
nobody said "completely" destroys. it destroys none the less. it is pretty common knowledge about citric acid and creatine bro. take a look at the back of any basic creatine supp bottle. most say, "mix with a non acidic, non citrus fruit juice."

just do a search on google for "creatine + citrus"
I never said I didn't believe you - just bustin your balls for bustin mine ...
Old 08-08-07, 08:52 AM

by the way fog, in no way did i mean to belittle you or talk down to you in my post. you are a good dude and you actually practice what you preach. i wish more people like you were around.

what i am doing here is just pointing out something. if you have info that says otherwise i will be glad to read it and i will be the first to admit that I was wrong. i am not afraid to learn something even if it proves me wrong. learning and moving forward so that we can better ourselves is what this is all about brother.
Old 08-08-07, 09:42 AM

Superior Pro
i side with b
personally i just throw the creatine in my mouth an swallow it. i dont have time to overanalys it like stone. sometimes ill dump it in some gatorade diluted iwth water and drink it during my routine.
Old 08-08-07, 11:00 AM

Banned
Quote:
by the way fog, in no way did i mean to belittle you or talk down to you in my post. you are a good dude and you actually practice what you preach. i wish more people like you were around.

what i am doing here is just pointing out something. if you have info that says otherwise i will be glad to read it and i will be the first to admit that I was wrong. i am not afraid to learn something even if it proves me wrong. learning and moving forward so that we can better ourselves is what this is all about brother.

It's all good brother - I didn't take it any other way than you being you...

Old 08-10-07, 08:00 PM

Superior Pro
Quote:

some people like to use it with CREATINE pwo since high GI
Old 08-11-07, 07:03 PM

Superior Pro
Quote:

bouncer, what do you consider the negatives to grape juice? i have been using dextrose but dont like the crash i tend to get after
Old 08-11-07, 07:47 PM

Quote:
bouncer, what do you consider the negatives to grape juice? i have been using dextrose but dont like the crash i tend to get after
not really any negatives. more of a "not as good as" kind of thing. it is not as good as pure dextrose at shuttling nutrients and creatine into the muscle. look into Vitargo bro.
Old 08-11-07, 10:44 PM

Superior Freak
wow i didnt know that about citric acid killing off protien, do you guys still use creatine? i stop using it years ago, i thought the money was better spent on somthing a bit stronger. maybe i should start up again ay
Old 08-11-07, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redback
wow i didnt know that about citric acid killing off protien, do you guys still use creatine? i stop using it years ago, i thought the money was better spent on somthing a bit stronger. maybe i should start up again ay
creatine is a tried and true supplement that has proven itself.
Old 08-12-07, 09:23 PM
Thumbs up

Superior Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by redback

I think CREATINE is one of the cheapest, most effective supplements still til this day. Literally only a few cents a day to use.
Old 08-13-07, 06:17 AM

Superior Pro
i have decided to go with myozene for now. i'll see how that works. still uses dextrose, but i'll see how it is